Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Independence Day!


For this installment of the Simple Saturday Project series, I chose a Patriotic-themed monogram! I love monograms and enjoy finding any way I can to incorporate them into decor. Lucky for me, monograms are very "in" right now so they are easy to find anywhere! Target has even been carrying unfinished wooden letters for this very purpose. 


This project is relatively simple, just takes some time to allow the paint to dry. Here are the supplies you will need:
  • Wooden letter. I recommend a "Block" style letter (rather than script or cursive), as it is easier to paint if the letter is wide and square.
  • Blue, Red, and White  acrylic paint
  • Masking Tape ("Painters tape") -- this is what you will use to create the stripe effect
  • Star stickers (I found these in the scrapbooking section)
  • Burlap ribbon -- I recommend wired ribbon, as it helps the bow keep its shape.

Here is an image of the colors I used -- Cobalt Blue, White, and Bright Red. These are cheap paints -- 69 cents each! 


To start, choose which area you want to put the blue square. Be careful to use the tape in very straight lines and press firmly to prevent the paint from bleeding through the lines created by the tape. Wrap the tape all the way around the letter as you will also paint the back.


Here's what it looked like with just the blue quadrant painted. I let the first coat dry, then added a second coat 30 minutes later. 


Leave the tape in place and paint the rest of the letter white. I used two coats. 


Taping out the stripes is the most labor-intensive part of this project. Make sure you're carefully placing the tape to allow for clean, straight lines. Allow the white to dry at least 90 minutes or the masking tape will lift the paint off. 


To make sure my red stripes were the correct size, I used this little piece of tape to measure them out. I recommend taping the whole letter before you begin painting with the red. (I forgot to take a picture of this part of the project, so I captured it after I started the red).


Before you begin painting the red, place tape over the edges of the blue quadrant to prevent overlap. Then cover all exposed white areas in red. You don't have to completely cover the tape. I just got a little over zealous with the paint!


Allow the red stripes to dry for several hours. I left mine to dry overnight, but it probably would have been fine after 2-3 hours. Remove tape. Place stars in the blue quadrant. If you plan on leaving this outside for an extended period and it will be exposed to the elements, I recommend placing a dot of hot glue to place the stars. 


Just add your ribbon and you're all finished! I used a command hook to attach it to the door. I love how it turned out.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July!! 
Also, we have a new series that we will be unveiling soon -- stay tuned!







No comments:

Post a Comment