Sunday, May 31, 2015

Seeking Hydration


In some ways, it seems like some of the most simple lifestyle changes to prep for pregnancy are turning out to be the most complicated. Case in point: Trying to increase my fluid intake.

I've never been a big drinker, of any liquid. I already don't drink alcohol (We both choose to abstain, actually -- maybe I'll write a post on that choice at some point). We also both have been pop-free (or soda-free, coke-free, insert-your-preferred-lexicon-for-carbonated-beverages-here-free) for the last 12 years. You would think that would mean I would naturally drink more water. Well, my preferred drink of choice when we're out to eat, at the movies, etc. is water. But I'm not drinking anywhere near 8+ glasses/day. In fact, C even developed a nickname for me related to this very issue -- he calls me "dixie" (as in, those tiny shot glass sized dixie cups) because anytime we're out to eat, he goes through multiple full glasses of water, while I drink maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of a glass over the course of an entire meal. 

I know this is a problem. I really like water and it isn't as if I have some aversion to drinking it. I just don't gulp it down like most people I know. It's unfortunate that C isn't able to carry the baby, because he gulps down so much water you'd think he was preparing for a drought. I know that pre-pregnancy and during pregnancy, my body is going to need substantially more fluid. 

So, I'm trying to figure out just how I'm going to manage to drink a lot more water throughout the day. My current office has a nice water cooler just a few feet from my office door. The water is nice and chilly. But how can I remind myself throughout the day to be drinking more?

Today at Target, I found the nice "glass sipper" photographed at the top of this post. I love the bright yellow accents on it, and I also like that it is glass instead of plastic (the straw is still plastic , but still seemed like a healthier option?). I've heard of a newer trend to "infuze" water with fruit. All that seems to mean is people are slicing up fresh lemons or placing a few berries at the bottom of the glass to add some fresh flavor to the water.

How are you increasing your fluid intake? Any recommendations to track fluid intake?



No comments:

Post a Comment